COVID – 19, which is a nano-sized pathogen has seized the world. Currently in India there are 125k+ confirmed cases and 3720 deaths at the time of putting this to words. The situation has been deteriorating and with the increasing spread, it is necessary to take necessary prevention measures and abide by stringent rules.
In these COVID times, drones have proved their efficiency in the skies from chasing violators to enforcing social distancing and mapping. They have been adopted by the police and civic agencies to manage the situation with the minimal workforce. The entire human civilization is facing a fatal calamity in the form of the COVID-19 pandemic. Working in these times is a significant risk. It is crucial to work with proper planning and maintain preventive measures while performing surveillance.
It was observed that on seeing drones in the sky, people had a sense of fear and maintained social distancing and returned back to their homes.
Ways in which drones can help in surveillance and monitoring of COVID-19 affected areas:
- With the help of drone surveillance, the violators of the rules were identified and actions were taken against them. Drones give a wider perspective to the surveillance team and facilitate law enforcement. Which would have not been possible with the manual workforce.
- The surveillance footage can be obtained in real-time which helps police to engage in law enforcement at the same time by directing their teams remotely.
- Slum areas are somewhat different where monitoring is essential, but human intervention is equally risky and difficult. In such cases, drones are a crucial tool for control.
- A mounted thermal camera on the drone can be calibrated to function as infrared cameras to measure body temperatures.
- Illegal border movement can also be monitored to slow down the spread of coronavirus infection.
- Drones can be employed to monitor public spaces like grocery shops, medical stores, and alcohol shops and enforce social distancing rules, to help slow the spread of coronavirus.
- Drones can be geared up with loudspeakers and zoom lenses to enforce quarantines and curfews.
Benefits of air surveillance:
- Drones can cover a large area in very little time when compared to other manual methods. For example, they can cover an area of 2-3 square kilometers in 10 minutes.
- Minimal human intervention is required that means, lower risk of contracting the disease for police officials.
- The recorded footage works as clear evidence of the work. It can guide the higher authorities for further planning.
- Less workforce is required, and things can be controlled remotely without the need for a major physical presence of policemen.
Various platforms such as FlytCloud, COVID Surveillance Platform by Skylark Drones, and BoxCast can be used for real-time monitoring for quicker actions. Some of the platforms can handle multiple drones at the same time.
When the world is in lockdown, and humans are frightened to even step out of their residences, many drone pilots have dedicated themselves to battling this global calamity by helping the authorities in mapping the hotspots and performing surveillance for social distance enforcement.
Better Drones also took the initiative to aid police in extending their force to the skies. Since the last few days, the Better Drones teams have been working with the Uttar Pradesh Police and Delhi Police in mapping and surveillance of the COVID hotspots.
They monitored the ground situation and gave live feed to the police. Since the inception of the lockdown, Better Drones and Drone Tribe pilots have voluntarily been working hard and risking their lives to help authorities extricate India from the vagaries of this catastrophic minuscule pathogen.